On 25-26 June 2016, many friends from former years joined with the present church family to celebrate 50 years as a constituted church. Whilst the church’s history goes back to the commencement of Sunday School in 1948, it wasn’t until 1966 that the Fellowship became affiliated as a member church of the Baptist Union of NSW churches.
Over 200 people gathered on the Saturday for a time of “reunion” for morning tea and fellowship over lunch, followed by the planting of a tree, and an afternoon of reflection and ministry. Many displays of history items, pre-recorded interviews and old 8mm home movie footage (of Weddings and Sunday School Picnics) were shown throughout the day.
The celebrations continued on Sunday with the morning service filled to capacity, and the evening service preceded with a Fellowship Dinner.
We are grateful to God for the blessing and challenges that the ministry of Rev Phil Waugh, Senior Pastor of the Springwood Church, brought to us over the weekend. Pastor Phil was a
Student Observer at Cardiff Heights in 1989-90, and it was great to renew fellowship with him and his wife, Karen over the weekend.
The CHBC 50th Anniversary Commemorative Book is available for $10.00. Please email the church office at email@example.com if you would like a copy.
Mr & Mrs Arthur Taylor, along with a Mr Edward Wheatley, commenced the first Baptist Sunday School in the Buffalo Lodge Hall on the 11th January, 1948. They were members of the Hamilton Baptist Church, and teachers were supplied from there in the early days. Numbers increased dramatically over the next two years, which resulted in Hamilton Church assuming responsibility for the Sunday School in 1950.
Over the next few years, a monthly church service was introduced, and weekly services began in 1958 under the leadership of Pastor Boyd Bradford. The Buffalo Lodge Hall was purchased in 1955, vacant land next door was purchased a few years later, and the first church building was built and opened in 1962. Shortly after this, a home next door was purchased with the plan of using it as a Manse.
In May 1965, after further discussion with the Hamilton Church, serious consideration was being given to the formation of the fellowship as an affiliated church. Following great encouragement from the Hamilton folk and their Pastor, Rev. Jack Blankley, an application was made to the Baptist Union of NSW.
Following further discussions and arrangements, the Cardiff Heights Baptist Church was officially formed on Saturday, 25th June, 1966 with 45 Foundation members. The service was conducted by the Rev. Geoff Parish, President of the Baptist Union of NSW.
The following was recorded in the Minutes of the Hamilton Baptist Church – “In June 1966 the Fellowship at Cardiff Heights was formed into the Cardiff Heights Baptist Church and became independent and even though the membership of the Hamilton Church was reduced, the Church rejoiced in having had a part in the formation of yet another church”.
We must acknowledge the life and ministry of Rev Boyd Bradford, who faithfully served the church as Pastor from 1958 to 1991. Up until 1985, Boyd was in other full-time employment and served the church in an honorary capacity. Following his retirement in 1985, he assumed the role of full-time Pastor.
The church was extended in 1983 to accommodate the growing congregation. A new Manse was purchased in 1990; the Edgeworth Community Baptist Church was planted in 1995 due to continuing congregation attendances, and the church and hall were joined together in 2004.
The home next door to the church was changed to a Ministry Centre in 2013.
God has continued to bless the church over the years. We acknowledge with thankfulness to God those who have faithfully served us and continue to serve today. Rev Bill Storrie (1991-95; Rev Gary Izzard (1993-95); Rev Graham Gibbins (1996-99); Rev Chris Gentle (1999 to present) and Pastor Warren Moore (2009 to present).